Sunday, August 28, 2005

Typewriters never say die

Fun piece in The Oregonian today (found it online at another site) about how young people are rediscovering the simple joy of pounding on keys that actually strike a page.

Best line is from a Portlander, Jake Shivery of Blue Moon Camera and Machine: "There is no button on a typewriter which will lose your documents." ;-)

My Smith-Corona electric typewriter had that nifty slide-in ribbon cartridge - having spent many an evening changing messy ribbons on UPI teletype machines, it was nice to avoid getting ink-stained hands - plus, there was a correct-type cartridge that you could use to "white out" mistakes without having to use those little bottles of White Out and blow the paper dry.

Ahh, memories. Computers can do so much more, of course, but ... simpler can be better

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I learned to type on my typewriter, and I think that makes me a better typist. But, boy, am I glad I never have to replace the ink on my blog. I can just talk, talk, talk. :)